We all know the importance of physical activity and how it impacts our physical and mental health. Many women struggle to find the time for activity after having a new baby, or just in general while juggling the everyday things of life. While you may not be able to attend a 45 min spin class or a 60 min strength workout, physical activity doesn’t have to interrupt your entire day.
Here are some tips:
- Start small and aim for 5-10 min per day or every other day. This will allow you to figure out what time of day works best for you might be easier to stick with rather than committing to a longer workout right out of the gate.
- Re-think your definition of “activity” and “exercise.” It doesn’t have to be a sweat session! Goals are to start with moving the body and then work up from there.
- Walk: easy ways to incorporate this into your day. When you check the mail, walk out 2-3 min and then walk back to your house. Ask your partner to walk when he/she gets home. OR when you are in Target or grocery store, walk with intention for 2-3 minutes, then go back to shopping. Before you head to checkout, walk with intention again a few more minutes.
- Walking your dog? That counts!! Walk with intention. Intention means you are thinking about walking for exercise and moving a little faster than a leisurely stroll.
- At some point during the day, set a 5 min clock on your phone. 5 min workout ideas:
- Walk up and down stairs in your house and/or walk into every room in the house. Walk with intention.
- Jog in place 20 sec, rest 10 sec for 5 min
- Rotate exercises: jog in place, push ups (knee modification), sit ups, squats, jumping jacks and repeat